Deep South Dining
Deep South Dining: Kids and the Kitchen
The school year is here and football has taken over the weekend but meal time does not have to suffer. Putting together a well balanced family meal does not have to be a chore. And if you are brave enough you can even pull your kids in the kitchen to help. On the show today we welcome a pair of working moms and food industry professionals, Marlana Walters from the Everyday Gourmet and Dr. Josie Bidwell host of MPB's Southern Remedy: Healthy & Fit. They both provide insight on cooking for picky eaters, family meal time, and making well-balanced choices. Also we here from food blogger Alex Golovac from atasteofwellbeing.com.
Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
The perfect brownie balance of fudgy and cakey, nobody will know there’s black beans in them!
½ Cup Quick Oats
½ Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 ½ Cup Black beans, canned, drained, rinsed
¼ cup Canola Oil
½ cup Maple or Cane Syrup
½ tsp Baking Powder
3 tbsp. Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
1. Gather all ingredients and equipment.
2. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celsius).
3. In a small blender, blend oats on high speed to create a fine powder. Move the oats to a medium size bowl.
4. In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds or until thoroughly melted.
5. Drain black beans in a colander and thoroughly rinse them off.
6. In a pitcher blender, combine chocolate, black beans, oil, syrup, baking powder, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Blend on high speed until very smooth.
7. Fold the oats and chocolate mixture together and transfer to a greased mini muffin pan. Fill cups ¾ of the way.
8. Bake at 350 F for 8-12 minutes. Check to see if they are done by inserting a tooth pick into the center of the tallest one. If it comes out clean, they’re done. **Note: Because these do not contain eggs, it is OK to slightly under bake these for a fudgier brownie. In this case, a toothpick would not come out clean.
9. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. Enjoy!