Deep South Dining
Deep South Dining: Fig-orama
Malcolm and Carol are in a bit of fig mania. Figs are everywhere and Carol even has fig tarts to share. On this episode of Deep South Dining there is plenty of fig talk, also Malcolm shares some news that will yield him more time in the kitchen. Also Felder Rushing joins the show to talk about the garden he has had this summer and share his process for fig preserves. Let's eat y'all!
Ocracoke Island Fig Cake Recipe
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in a little hot water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup preserved figs, chopped (chopped dates may be substituted for figs)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Beat 3 eggs; add sugar and oil.
- After sifting dry ingredients, add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Add vanilla and fold in figs and nuts.
- Pour into greased oblong pan and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or in a well-greased tube or bundt pan at 350 degrees just a little longer.