Deep South Dining
Deep South Dining | Beach Biscuit
On this edition of Deep South Dining Malcolm and Carol spend some time with our friends on the Mississippi coast. Jessie Zenor from the Greenhouse on Porter joins the show to talk about their simple yet interesting approach to biscuit making and why opening a second location during the pandemic was not the smartest thing to do. Also food writer and photographer Julian Brunt calls in to talk about the always tasty coastal food scene and the impressive amount of restaurants opening up during these uncertain times.
Greenhouse on Porter Biscuit Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 stick cold butter
- 1 cup full fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt & pepper.
- Chop cold stick of butter into half inch cubes. Using your fingers, squish the butter into the flour mixture until the largest pieces are about the size of peas.
- Stir in the buttermilk, mixing only until the dough comes together, careful to not overwork the biscuit dough.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and roughly shape into a square about an inch thick. Cut into 9 pieces.
- Place biscuits on a parchment lined pan and bake about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with any topping you can dream up!